Check out these practical, effective, simple, and no or low-cost ways to
shed unwanted weight and promote fat loss
Try one, few or all of these tips and incorporate them in your life for your weight loss or
weight management goals and living healthy lifestyle
Get relevant, healthy living and weight loss tips delivered straight to your inbox
Subscribe NOW to get More Insights & Tips!
1) Don’t avoid carbohydrates. A simple key to steady and long-term weight loss is to incorporate complex carbohydrates (carbs) into your diet and reduce amounts of simple carbohydrates like table sugar, baked goods, candies, sugar-laden sodas, and refined grains like white bread and white rice. No carbs diets are not best ways to reduce weight and have healthy bodies. Learn more HERE which carbs are good for you and how to include them in your eating habits!
2) Water is essential for good health. Drinking plain water throughout the day is effective means towards weight reduction. Water is required for proper digestion of foods, having your gastro-intestinal (GI) system in normal working order (reduces bouts of constipation and loose stools), removing toxins that cause inflammation in the body, keeping blood pressure in check, and normal functions of kidneys. Consume sixty-four (64) ounces of plain water (no additives is just fine) in between meals or eating and add more water before and after workouts to keep the body hydrated and working in good condition. Preloading with eight (8) ounces of water before working out reduces level of stress hormones that cause fat storage, promotes muscle building, and keeps weight gain at bay. So drink enough water throughout the day!
3) Drink tea for weight loss. Drinking tea can help achieve weight loss by one increasing your fluid intake (remember to get at least 64 ounces or eight 8 cups of water) throughout the day that keeps the body’s various systems in healthy condition. Secondly, most teas have caffeine that aids to increase body’s metabolism and burn more calories per day. Finally, teas, especially green and black teas contain catechins, phytochemicals that increase body’s fat burning ability and thereby promotes weight loss. In order to see benefits, studies have shown that you have to drink 4-5 cups of green or black tea per day. The fat-burning effects of tea is best when drank without any added sugar (except small amounts of honey and lemon juice) and dairy milk or cream which can add significant calories compared to plain tea drink.
4) Don’t mix eating with your mobile devices or TV. Pay attention to what you eat, how much you eat, and when you eat. These factors are important to weight loss since when one is distracted or preoccupied in other activities besides eating, then well balanced and proportional eating is not possible. For example, watching TV or using your smartphone while eating leads to dissociative state of mind whereby you may not consider how much you consume, what foods are gobbled up or eating time since emotional and psychological stresses can boost appetite-stimulating hormones. An interesting study from University of Birmingham showed that people who were distracted while eating meal ate more unhealthy snack and consumed more calories after such meal(s) than people who were oriented to their meals and not preoccupied with other things while eating.
5) Early morning workout is good for weight loss. It is well established that physical activity that boosts the body’s metabolic rate increases muscle-forming and fat-burning genes which can lead to fat loss and lean body mass. While exercise like walking, running, bicycling, swimming, cardio-aerobics among other activities that increase heart rate, blood circulation, healthy blood pressure increase, and release of stress-reducing hormones provide good health benefits. Recent Japanese study showed that exercise before breakfast can boost metabolic rate by ~280 calories during the entire day than when same activity or exercise is done in the evening. Hence, pre-breakfast or morning exercise can help in you in weight loss goals.
6) Don’t skip meals are part of your long-term weight loss goals. Eating 4-6 small meals and snacks throughout the day is better than skipping a meal. If one skips a meal, your energy levels are not well balanced or even throughout the day and one has tendency to overeat in the next meal and thereby eat more calories than if had not skipped a meal. Not skipping meal is especially essential if you do exercise or workouts as part of weight loss program since you want to preserve muscle mass and fat burning by taking in sufficient proteins and calories.
7) Sleep your way to weight loss. Getting enough daily sleep (6-8 hours) depending on your individual habits, daily schedule, physical activities, and body composition is vital component along with healthy eating plan and exercise program during the day. Quality and uninterrupted sleep quiets the brain’s activities from the day, release anti-stress hormones, reduces stress hormone called cortisol (this hormone promotes fat gain and deposits in the body), and keeps 24-hour bodily and hormonal cycle based on circadian rhythm under normal function.
8) Eat good mix of nuts for weight loss. Regular consumption of nuts like almonds, pistachios, cashews, Brazilian nuts, hazelnuts, and peanuts in small amounts (1-2 tablespoon) can satisfy hunger pangs in between meals. Also, nuts have healthy fats that is good for the heart, brain/nervous system, blood circulation, reducing inflammation, and skin health. Consuming nuts provide protein and natural fiber that aids in reaching healthy weight and can serve as healthy snack.
9) Get some exposure to the sun. Several studies have reported that people who get sunlight exposure before noon in the morning hours have decreased capacity to gain fat and weight. It is postulated that direct sunlight promotes fat-burning by altering metabolism-based processes in the body that are in better sync by full activation of circadian rhythm or 24-hour body cycle caused by sunlight. Also, sunlight is required for vitamin D3 conversion or production in the body that is essential as anti-inflammation factor, keep healthy bones (part of lean body mass), functioning kidneys, and maintaining calcium in the body. Interesting, according to Nutrition Journal study, healthy amounts of vitamin D and calcium can boost body’s fat-burning ability by two-fold than without having sufficient amount of these nutrients. Of course, any direct exposure to sunlight should be for less than 20-30 minutes per day depending on your geographic location, skin type, and sensitivity to it. Morning exposure (between 7 am to 11 am) is less harmful than mid-day or afternoon sunlight stemming from angle of sunlight hitting Earth.
10) Eat nutritionally-dense foods for weight loss. If you consume whole foods in their raw or less processed state, then you are eating nutritionally-rich foods that you give you essential vitamins, minerals, required macronutrients, anti-oxidants, and other phytochemicals that provide good health, promote weight loss, and keep or build lean body mass. Avoid diets that emphasize only carbohydrates or proteins or fats or their combinations without including all three macronutrients in good proportions for healthy eating. Find out more HERE how to get well balanced eating plan.